Monday 28 January 2019

Marlboro Man

I wonder how many cigarettes will it take
to build a mound of ash,
big enough to fill the grave of multiple
corpses, it won't be easy. 

Everyone sees the packets everyday I buy,
a slender tube dangles from my blackened lips regardless of time,
the sides of my fingers are yellow
and yesterday I spat some blood. 

Everyone's a doctor now, everyone's playing 
Dr. Phil, I cannot make them understand
the unresolved points my life has seen
or for the fact that I'm not the one who dies
I haven't done that yet. 

So I steal the song from Fool's Garden,
"I wonder how I wonder why..."
making it a maxim I'd hum along,
maybe a little Phil Collins
if I am in the mood.

I drive in my matt blue car 
with a cigarette lit,
I kept the last one in the dashboard
along with her last one, with the lipstick mark which she left there before flying off
for a new life afterwards.

So I keep wondering, I wonder
how much cigarettes will I need,
before I finally make it all go
or before I finally make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment